Monday 23 June 2014

Nature is frightening....

So, if you read the last post, you'll know I had a "Boa", by the side of the path. Except it wasn't a Boa. Here's the photo again to refresh your memories.


The shape of the head, bulging out from the neck, rules out a Boa and makes it a Viper of some kind. Lisa suggests it's a Fer De Lance, and a Herpetologist (fancy word for snake expert) friend, Matt Bruce, also thought it looked a bit like one. Lisa said it could also be a Bushmaster, but Zac Hinchcliffe, who also knows a lot about snakes, did a bit of digging and suggests it might be a Picado's Jumping Viper. 
Whatever it is, I'm just quite glad I wasn't bitten. I saw it in second-growth vegetation at the side of the path, only noticing it out of the corner of my eye as I was walking right past it. It was bearing it's fangs, a visible sign of aggression, and it seems like it was pretty pissed to have me walk right past it. 
Anyway, I'm just very, very thankful I spotted it in time, as if I'd been bitten then, depending on what species it actually is, it seems like the consequences would range from a stay in the hospital (Picado's can cause internal bleeding), to a rather painful death (Fer De Lance's are one of the most, if not the most, venomous snakes in the America's). I was also about 30 minutes walk from the nearest people, so it would have been pretty difficult to even make it back and get help, if it was a truly toxic species.    
I'm feeling a bit shaken by the whole thing now, I've been interested in nature for such a long time, but never had any situation where I really felt I was in big trouble. Most animals are absolutely fine, as long as you show them a decent amount of respect and don't act like an idiot, and perhaps I'd been getting quite complacent. But this snake was very well-hidden in the side of the path, if I hadn't reacted in time there really wouldn't have been much I could do. 
But I do now have a cool story to tell everyone, and a new-found respect for the Snakes! Thankfully, it all worked out OK in the end! 

3 Comments:

At 24 June 2014 at 00:00 , Blogger Unknown said...

Please watch where you are putting your feet!!! It would seem a shame to end your trip within the first week and black really is n't my colour. All joking aside though please be a bit more careful your nine lives are fast running out. Perhaps you shouldn't be walking the trails so far from the Rancho on your own or out of some sort of Radio, mobile phone contact?. Anyway hope you are still having fun, I much prefer hearing about the nice birds. Lots of love Mum

 
At 24 June 2014 at 00:04 , Blogger Unknown said...

Just seen Brians post on the last blog and wellies sound like a good idea to me. Could inspire a whole new verse of the Billy Connolly ditty.....

 
At 24 June 2014 at 00:35 , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, Liam - in all the time I spent in Latin America (all those years ago!) I'm not sure I even saw a snake! Take it easy tiger - healthy respect yes, certainly, but keep having fun & good birding. Dad. P.S. Even Lawro reckons Costa Rica will win 2:1 tonight!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home